click on image or here:
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based application designed exclusively to support data capture for research studies. REDCap is maintained by the REDCap Consortium. The Consortium is comprised of over 300 institutional partners of which Penn State University is a partner. REDCap provides:
- an intuitive interface for data entry (with data validation);
- audit trails for tracking data manipulation and export procedures;
- automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R);
- procedures for importing data from external sources; and
- advanced features, such as branching logic and calculated fields.
REDCap is HIPAA compliant. Data are stored on a secure server; data in REDCap are encrypted; access to the database requires authentication (a unique username and password); data are accessed based on the individual’s role on the project; every interaction with the data is logged, creating an audit trail.
REDCap provides the capability to remove identifiers from a dataset prior to exporting for analysis to create either a limited data set or a safe harbor data set (removal of the 18 pieces of information that are considered identifiers for the purposes of HIPAA compliance). All investigators will be encouraged to use REDCap for data capture. All pilot projects supported by CTSI funding are required to use REDCap for data capture or provide evidence to the Privacy Officer and Data Security Officer that the system to be used for data capture is HIPAA compliant.
For more information about the REDCap consortium, click here.
For more information about REDCap at Penn State or to request help, click here.