Training is required to gain access to the REDCap application. There are three (3) methods of training depending on what role you are playing on the various projects. Every project must have at least one person on the study team who has completed the REDCap Introductory Training.
Below you will find the training methods, examples of typical roles and the rights they have, topics covered and time commitment.
Upon completion of any training, an IT Account Request form is required. Please complete page 1, all sections, and page 4, Section K. Please sign page 1 and have your manager approve. Please leave the signature on page 4 blank. Scan/email completed form to REDCap@hmc.psu.edu.
External to PSHMC? Email REDCap@hmc.psu.edu for a copy of the IT Account Request Form.
1. REDCap Introductory Seminar:
Role in Project:
- Project Administrator, full rights to the project and all of its data
- Investigator, full rights to the project and all of its data
- Anyone is welcome to attend this training
- secure data management using REDCap
- demonstration of the application
Time Commitment: 1.5 hours
Upcoming Class Schedule:
- Monday, 5/20/13 (HMC campus, 1:00-2:30 pm) - FULL
- Tuesday, 5/21/13 (University Park campus, time and location TBD – please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule)
- Tuesday, 6/4/13 (HMC campus, 2:00-3:30 pm)
- Tuesday, 6/11/13 (University Park campus, time and location TBD – please email email@example.com to schedule)
- Tuesday, 6/1813 (HMC campus, 2:00-3:30 pm)
Registration required: email firstname.lastname@example.org with the requested date of training.
Cannot attend in person? Please state during registration, that you wish to attend remotely via Adobe Connect. A REDCap Administrator will contact you regarding setting up the meeting.
2. REDCap Vanderbilt Tutorials (www.project-redcap.org):
Role in Project:
- Data Coordinator, de-identified export, data quality checks, form building, data entry
- Project Coordinator, de-identified export, record locking, data entry
- Data Entry, limited access, data entry only – Overview of Basic Data Entry tutorial should be viewed
- Anyone who wishes to gain a full understanding of all of the tools in REDCap
- Detailed overview of the REDCap application
- Basic Data Entry Overview
- Other more focused tutorials are also offered
- Detailed Overview of REDCap tutorial – 78 minutes
- Overview of Basic Data Entry tutorial – 16 minutes
3. REDCap Peer Training:
Trained by a senior project team member who has been trained through the REDCap Introductory Training above.
Role in Project:
- Statistician, de-identified export, data quality checks
- Project Staff, de-identified export, data entry
- Read Only, limited access, no data export access, can only view data using the Graphical Data View and Stats feature
- Focused training on tools depending on access
- Varied depending on need
Other Training Resources
The REDCap Data Entry Users Manual and Reference Guide is a great resource for navigating through the data entry process.
Data Migration: For projects currently stored in Excel (or any CSV file) that you wish to move to REDCap, please review the instructions on Migrating Data from Excel to REDCap.
- REDCap Home
- Start Here
- IRB Template
- Citing REDCap
- REDCap Training
- Open Office Hours
- Best Practices