Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside (i2b2) helps clinical researchers use existing clinical data from Penn State Health for discovery research and, when combined with IRB-approved genomic data, facilitate the design of targeted therapies for individual patients with diseases having genetic origins.
It is widely used by the CTSA National Network and other academic health centers and industry, and is funded as a cooperative agreement with the National Institutes of Health. Learn more about i2b2 and the i2b2 Consortium here.
Working with i2b2
Penn State investigators wishing to use i2b2 must:
- Complete training
- Complete an account form and data use agreement
Log in to i2b2 (internal access only)
Jump to topic
Learn More About i2b2
i2b2 uses International Classification of Diseases (ICD) codes, Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC), and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes in its searches.
The following links provide lookup tables for these codes:
The i2b2 tentative data refresh schedule is listed here. Please note that the application will be unavailable between 8 p.m. Tuesday and 5 p.m. Wednesday on the dates listed unless otherwise noted. Please see the data dashboard and change log sections of this page for the current state of the data.
- Vitals (Height, Weight, BMI, Systolic and Diastolic BP, Temperature, Heart Rate)
- Department Location
- Smoking Assessments
- ICD-o Code Set for Oncology
- Pulmonary Function Test (PFT)
- Problem Lists
Non-Discrete Data Not Available
- Notes (e.g., admission H and P, discharge summaries, clinic notes)
- Narrative Reports (e.g., radiology, surgical pathology, operative reports)
- Images (e.g., digital X-rays, EKGs, scanned documents)
- Microbiology Data (not yet recorded discretely in the EMR)
- Family History and Medical History (unless coded for billing purposes)
- Genomic Data